Thursday, October 27, 2011

John 13:34-35

"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Okay, Meg here. I know I've been super annoying with this concept lately, but it's only because of our family atmosphere at Mount Zion. One that can quickly and easily change if the concept of encouragement is neglected.

I think the soccer team has noticed this the most recently. We think it's okay to sarcastically say something mean to each other, as long as afterward we say we're just kidding. And our society agrees. Sarcasm is part of most people's every day lives. Unfortunately, the idea of being mean to each other is accepted. However, the Bible is definitely on the other side of this fence.

“Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.” Ephesians 4:29

I think we could agree that sarcasm is abusive language, and neither good nor helpful. In fact, most of the time it's just hurtful. I often hurt the people I care about with my facetious words. There was even someone this year who thought I didn't like him, because I joked around with him way too often, and he didn't take it that way. How embarrassing it was to explain that I was being a jerk... in a joking way?

So, if we were to follow the first part of that verse, it would not only take away swearing, but also sarcasm. If we say that we believe in God, and that He sent His Son to die for us, but also say that we believe that the Bible is God's word, and being such means it is truth, then we can agree that sarcasm is not of God... Right?

But now, let's not forget the second part of that verse. Let everything we say be good and helpful... So then, it isn't enough to just refrain from cruel jokes or cussing, but we also need to make sure everything we say is helpful. Yikes. Who would have thought that one verse could be so difficult to follow. I mean... following the commandment about not killing people is easy enough to follow, but following a verse telling us not to do some
thing society teaches us is okay, that's a bit tougher. I've never heard someone say that killing people is okay. Sarcasm is encouraged. In fact, people are made fun of if they don't understand it. How bizarre.

For me I've realized, that my words are much sharper to those who annoy me... There's a verse for that, too! ;)

Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. Romans 15:7

Being sarcastic to those around us, is not a good way of showing acceptance, or God's love. Which if I remember correctly, is one of the theme verses this year. John 13:34-35
As mentioned in prayer group, I doubt that Jesus would talk to us the way we speak to each other. And that means we aren't demonstrating God's love to each other.


We all came out of MRO with a family attitude. Families love each other, and encourage each other. And while I've come from a family that isn't too great at demonstrating that, I know this because of God's love.
So, I would absolutely love to see you guys working on this with me, because if just one of us stops being sarcastic, that still leaves 28 kids in the high school who are.
Changes start in prayer. And if we are the prayer group, changes will also start through us.
We are an example to the rest of the school guys, let's be a good one :)


In Him,
Meg Delaney



No comments:

Post a Comment